Lavender is both a beautiful cut flower and a great herb! The flowers are edible and can be used in a ton of ways. Lavender pairs well with apples, berries, cherries, lamb, meat, orange, peaches, plums, potatoes, and walnuts, as well as herbs like oregano, parsley, rosemary, thyme. Lavender flowers also can be incorporated into a dough for baking or infused in cream or milk. (PSU herb pairing guide)
Cutting Instructions: Trim the whole or part of the stem from multiple areas of the plant, right above the leaves.
Drying Instructions: Best to cut the lavender right before the flower buds open and are bright purple. Loosely bunch the lavender sprigs (~10 stems) and tie the base together with twine or string. Hang bunches upside down in a cool and dry location without direct sunlight.
Lavender Lemon Zucchini Bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- Zest of 2 lemons (set aside about 1 teaspoon for the glaze)
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 – 10 fresh lavender blossoms … or a couple of chopped fresh lavender leaves.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- the reserved lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray two 9×5 inch loaf pans with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, then add the oil and sugar until well blended. Add the buttermilk, zucchini, and zest/juice of lemons to this mixture and stir to mix it well.
- Add the dry ingredients. Then crush/crumble the lavender blossoms into the batter and stir some more until it is all mixed well and makes a nice batter.
- Divide batter evenly amongst the two prepared loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While still warm, make a glaze and drizzle over the bread. Let the bread cool and the glaze set before cutting and serving.
Recipe by Ann, Sumptuous Spoonfuls
Our very own CSA member Heather made an amazing vegan version of lavender lemon zucchini bread last year, so she is the inspiration for this featured recipe!
Lavender Lemonade Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 6 sprigs lavender
- 2 cups fresh lemon juice 6-10 lemons, depending on size
- 6 cups cold water
- Ice cubes