Thai basil has a licorice flavor that is sure to spice up your meal! You can still use it in the typical basil recipes like caprese or ratatouille, but also in Asian dishes.
Cutting Instructions: Trim the top of the plant off, cutting the main stem right above another set of leaves. If you are unsure of how to cut basil please see our instructional video by clicking HERE and fast-forward to 06:00. Please do not cut the entire plant.
Thai Basil Chicken Recipe
- 7oz chicken thigh fillets (skinless, boneless, and cut into bite-size pieces)
- 1 green onion (cut 2″ pieces).
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 birds eye or Thai chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (can substitute with any hot pepper)
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil (peanut, vegetable or canola)
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce (or all purpose)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp water
Put Sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix to combine.
Heat oil in wok or pan over high heat.
Add garlic and chilli and cook for 10 seconds. Don’t inhale – the chilli will make you cough!
Add the white part of the green onions and chicken and fry until cooked, around 2 minutes.
Add Sauce and cook for 1 minute until the water reduces to make a thick glossy sauce.
Toss through green part of green onions and basil leaves. Stir until just wilted, then serve immediately with steamed jasmine rice. (Original Recipe)