Green Garlic and Spinach Quiche
Grab some eggs and cheddar cheese to make this farm-fresh, delicious quiche!
1 (12 oz) ball of your favorite pie dough for an 8-9 inch pie plate
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium spring onions, washed, root trimmed, whites thinly sliced and greens chopped or shallots
2 green garlic stalks (green and white part), roots trimmed, chopped
4 cups spinach, rinsed and large stems removed
1 cup (8 oz) half & half
1 cup (8 oz) white cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
¾ cup sour cream, divided
1 tablespoon chives, finely minced
Follow the steps below to make pie crust or use a premade frozen pie crust.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray an 8-9 inch pie plate with nonstick spray.
- Roll out the pie dough into a 12-inch diameter circle, approximately 1/8-inch thick. Place the dough into your 8 – 9 inch pie plate, making sure to press the dough into the corners and bottom of the pie plate. Fold the excess dough over the top edge, and using your forefinger and thumb, flute the edges. Chill the dough while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Grate the cheese and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over high heat. Add the spring onions and cook until slightly browned about 3 minutes. Add the green garlic and cook until fragrant and tender, about 3 minutes. Lower the heat and add the spinach. Sauté, stirring frequently, until the spinach is tender and wilted, about 2 minutes. Put the spring onion, green garlic, and spinach mixture into a small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs slightly and whisk in the half & half, cheese, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the onion, green garlic, and spinach mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the chilled pie shell. Reserve ¼ cup sour cream for garnish and dollop the remaining ½ cup sour cream in teaspoon-sized scoops on top of the quiche.
Bake 40 minutes until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve the quiche warm with a dollop of sour cream on top and sprinkle with minced chives.