Summer Veggie Skillet Enchiladas
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon pureed chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Sea salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 8 8-inch flour tortillas, cut into strips (sub corn tortillas for gluten-free)
- A few handfuls of small button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
Avocado, cilantro, sour cream, limes
- Whisk the oil and flour together in a small pot over medium heat. Bring it to a boil and let it bubble for 1 minute to get rid of the fresh flour taste. Add the rest of the enchilada sauce ingredients to the pot and bring the pot to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover to prevent splatters, and simmer the sauce for 10 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
- While the sauce is cooking, prepare the rest of the skillet enchiladas. Add enough oil (about 1 tablespoon) to thinly cover the bottom of a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tortilla strips to the skillet all at once and cook, tossing occasionally, until most of the tortilla strips are crispy and brown. Remove them from the skillet.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are brown, about 8 minutes. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, carrots, zucchini, and bell pepper to the skillet and cook them, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften. Add the corn and let it heat through.
- Place half the fried tortilla strips into the skillet and mix them around with the veggies. Pour in the enchilada sauce and mix everything together. Top the skillet enchiladas with the remaining tortilla strips, pressing them into the sauce. Generously sprinkle the top with cheese.
- Let the skillet enchiladas simmer until the cheese is melted and be skillet is hot and bubbly, about 10 minutes.